ADDHelpline is your ADD Information Source

Search Our Site
Online ADD Tests
Adults With ADD
Parenting Teens With ADHD
Articles and Information
Medication Fact Sheets
ADHD In Preschool
ADHD In The News
ADHD Directory
Special Needs Store
Disclaimer/Terms of Use
Take A Break
Allied Products

If you are interested in learning more about how you can receive EEG Neurotherapy right in your home, using your own computer, enter your email address below.


Regular Features

Dr. Steven Richfield provides articles on many different aspects of raising a child with ADHD.                                   

Each month we our advocate will be answering questions from our visitors about yours and your children's rights in the educational system.    

A mother is trying to help her teenage son learn anger management.   

Five great ideas for motivation, including The Shoe Race, Trading Places and more.  

Organize your child at home, and maybe find some tips that will help you as well.  

Headlines about ADHD, Learning Disability and Mental Disorders

Study on ADD and TV
The recent study published on watching television between the ages of one and three and the possible link to ADD/ADHD did not take many considerations into account. The author of the study even admits that he cannot conclude that television watching and ADD/ADHD are linked.

Read the Article

Ask The Advocate

by Steve Glink

Click here to find out more about Steve

Return to this month's newsletter

Return to Ask the Advocate Archives

To ask our advocate a question, email here


What do you do when your child is denied a Section 504 year after year? 

Hello, I have a son that has ADHD since he was in kindergarten. He is now in 11th grade and he has been denied the right to be put on a 504 plan. the school tested him and said that the DR's reports state he is ADHD and the school says he is ADHD but not disabled. How can I make the school and the school board realize that a medical DR's report stating he is ADHD is enough. I forgot to advise that this take's place in Sumter County, Florida. please help, I'm a frustrated dad.


Dear Dad: Thanks for your e-mail. Under revisions to federal law (in 1997), ADD and/or ADHD are disabilities under the "Other Health Impairment" (OHI) classification. They law is the source of determining what a disability is, not the school! What they might mean is that his disability does not have a negative impact on his educational performance, which only means that he is not eligible for special education under the federal IDEA law.
If they refuse to provide your son with accommodations under a 504 plan, you must file a complaint with the U.S. Justice Department (the Office of Civil Rights and/or the Department of Education). You should also file a complaint with your State Board of Education. You could request a due process hearing (that is the dispute resolution process). To do that, send a letter certified mail, return receipt requested to the superintendent, who must forward the request to the State Board of Education. An impartial hearing officer will be appointed and hear the evidence. There are many legal procedures so be careful. If you request it, the school district must provide you with a list of places where you can obtain low cost legal assistance.
Please feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail ( if I can be of further assistance.
Steven E. Glink
Attorney At Law
3338 Commercial Avenue
Northbrook, Illinois 60062
847/480-7749 (voice)