ADDHelpline is your ADD Information Source

Search Our Site
Online ADD Tests
Adults With ADD
Parenting Teens With ADHD
Articles and Information
Medication Fact Sheets
ADHD In Preschool
ADHD In The News
ADHD Directory
Special Needs Store
Disclaimer/Terms of Use
Take A Break
Allied Products

If you are interested in learning more about how you can receive EEG Neurotherapy right in your home, using your own computer, enter your email address below.


Regular Features

Dr. Steven Richfield provides articles on many different aspects of raising a child with ADHD.                                   

Each month we our advocate will be answering questions from our visitors about yours and your children's rights in the educational system.    

A mother is trying to help her teenage son learn anger management.   

Five great ideas for motivation, including The Shoe Race, Trading Places and more.  

Organize your child at home, and maybe find some tips that will help you as well.  

Headlines about ADHD, Learning Disability and Mental Disorders

Study on ADD and TV
The recent study published on watching television between the ages of one and three and the possible link to ADD/ADHD did not take many considerations into account. The author of the study even admits that he cannot conclude that television watching and ADD/ADHD are linked.

Read the Article

Ask The Advocate

by Steve Glink

Click here to find out more about Steve

Return to this month's newsletter

Return to Ask the Advocate Archives

To ask our advocate a question, email here


Can a Section 504 be transferred to a new school district? 

I have a son in the 8th grade who started to receive help under the 504 program while in the 6th grade.  By the time the school year came around again we had purchased a home in a different district.  During his 7th grade year we had numerous complaints from his teacher about his grades.  Every time I went to the school I would ask about his rights under the 504 program, at first the school said they had never heard of such program.  Once in the counselors office I called his prevous school and had the counselor speak with the original Coordinator who placed my son under the program.  To make a long story short my son is now in the 8th grade with the same problems concerning his school work.  What options do I have to ensure that he is being provided with the appropriate education and rights he deserves.  PLEASE HELP

From the Advocate:

Dear Parent: Your situation is a common and unfortunate situation. Under the law, the school district has a duty to identify and evaluate any student who may have a disability. If your son has a disability (your e-mail does not say what his disability is) that has a negative impact on his educational performance, he is eligible for special ed. under a federal law known as IDEA. If there is no negative impact, he would be eligible "reasonable accommodations" under section 504. The first thing that you should do is to make a written request that the school perform a CASE STUDY EVALUATION. Under Illinois law (where I practice), the school has 60 school days to complete the CSE. If they refuse to do it, they must send you a written letter explaining the basis for their decision. Your son may be entitled to much more educational & legal protection than you realize.
What you  have described here is a refusal to implement a 504 plan.If that is how you want to proceed, you should file a complaint with the U.S. Justice Department (either the Office of Civil Rights or the Department of education)  in your area. You should also file a complaint with your State Board of Education.They should investigate this and if they determine that you are right, they will order the school to comply. You may also ask your school district for a due process hearing. That is the dispute resolution process. By law, upon receipt of your request for a due process hearing, they must advise you of your right to mediation ( a less formal way to resolve these issues.If you request it, the school district must provide you with a list of places where you can obtain low cost legal assistance.
You must understand that many school districts use refusal and stalling as a tactic to wear parents (and their lawyers) down. You must not be deterred from your mission by their tactics. Please feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail ( if I can be of further assistance.
Steven E. Glink
Attorney At Law
3338 Commercial Avenue
Northbrook, Illinois 60062
847/480-7749 (voice)